Spring rolls around and I’m changing the wreath on my front door to pretty much go with my moods… Ok, you’re right, not that much 😉 But I am changing them a good bit! For well over a year now, I’ve had a Southern Living magazine clipping hanging on my fridge. Yes, I’m one of those that still clip my favorite ideas and inspiration out of a magazine and hold onto it until I’m ready to conquer the project. I’ve been doing that way before the days of Pinterest!
That little magazine clipping was of a garden pot wreath. I just loved how it looked, so I wanted to recreate it. The day has finally come, after all this time! I’m finally sharing with you my terra cotta pot wreath!
Let me begin by saying, this was a lengthy project that took me all of a good few hours. With that said though, I am just tickled with how it turned out!
I was on the search for little terra cotta pots the other day, and I hit the mother-load at the Dollar Tree. They had packs of 3 for $1! I snagged over 30 of them up for this project. I was really stinkin’ excited about that find and it made this project a little more reasonable than buying them from the craft store, where they’re approx. $.89 each.
Once home, I gathered some outdoor patio paint I had from a previous project, a cup of water and a sponge brush. I used a poster board on my office table to protect it and also to easily access the paint being used. Simply squirt small amounts of paint (a quarter size) at a time and dilute it with water, wipe your brush and began painting each pot. I used a total of 21 pots for this project. The Southern Living wreath had some green, moss looking pots, so I wanted to recreate that by using a mix of green, black and white paints that I had to give it that mossy look. The great thing about this patio paint is it drys really quick. To seal the pots, I used a white wax, which also drys quickly!
The base of the wreath is an 18″ grapevine wreath. To attach the terra cotta pots to the grapevine, you will use floral wire. I only had green, so that’s what I used. I started mix-matching the pots to give it an non-uniform appearance. I was a little disappointed at how noticeable the green wire was, so I had the idea to use some moss I also had on hand to hot glue into the tops and bottoms of the pots. That was the perfect finishing touch! I kept a small space open where I added a short piece of burlap ribbon for hanging purposes.
As I already mentioned, I am so happy with how it turned out! I cannot wait to plant some flowers on my porch and share my Spring porch update with you all! Stay tuned! Thanks so much for stopping by!